Friday, September 14, 2007

The most common thing people get wrong with their first chapter, or their story beginnings.

I'm probably going to post a lot about Critters.org because I think it's the greatest thing since canned soup. Uncle Robert isn't as enthused as I am, but that's just because Critters doesn't have a bar. As soon as they add a bar then he'll be right in there.

I've been on and off Critters over the years as my time allows. I haven't given too many crits but I'm gonna change that, in fact I've already started. I've seen the thing grow a little bit and even produce some Nebula winners. I think that's awesome.

And the stories are better than they used to be. At least, it seems that way to me. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's just because I only read the fantasy stories these days, where all the best writers hang out.

But I no longer see so much of the "Chapter 1: Everything about [Charater's] Life Up Until Now". Which is good.

Of course, sometimes it's that same chapter, but told as a story instead of a block description. So that first chapter's still not always what it needs to be, but people seem to at least be headed in the right direction.

"Hey Karl, what does all this have to do with the number one fiction writing problem as you see it on critters.org? We come to your website for wisdom and we want to know!"

Well it's this: people still, 75% of the time, don't start their stories exactly like they need to: with the lead character in trouble.

Now it's ture that for some types of fiction, you don't always have to start this way. But you do always need to begin with tension, tension that catches the readers and sticks to'em so that s/he wants to read along and have it resolved.

Just about the only way to do this effectively in an action/adventure story is to begin with your lead character in trouble. I'm tlaking first sentence here--preferably the first half of the sentence.

People at Critters are going to get tired of me because I'm going to point it out in every single critque I make&give!!! I'll either point out its lack OR I'll congratulate its use. People may get sick of it but it'll be there in the very first line of every critique I write. And eventually I will make a difference!

Now go sign up at Critters and take over the place!

KB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

proactive horror true widespread succeeding familiar smile izkr tomokiyo aggregates volcanoes
lolikneri havaqatsu